Wednesday 26 August 2015

Brighton: negative geometry


Since I love architecture featuring elaborate stone carving, one of the things I was most looking forward to photographing in Brighton was the Royal Pavilion. But the weather on my second day there didn't provide the pretty, lightly clouded skies I'd been hoping for - the sky was a solid, white-grey glowing background. And not in an attractive way.

The architecture was as bizarrely gorgeous as I'd hoped, but when I started to edit my shots I had difficulty making that apparent. On a whim, I edited one shot as a black and white negative, and suddenly what I had thought was so appealing was much more evident. The stone carving stood out clearly against what was now a darker background and the details looked much sharper. 

So here are a few more Brighton negatives - some of the Royal Pavilion itself, but some too of other buildings in the city.






















No comments:

Post a Comment