Tuesday 23 December 2014

Venice: twenty-year flashback

I've had fun this week going through some of my old black and white film negatives. These ones were taken in Venice in the early nineties on a vintage Yashica, and it's interesting to me to see what's changed about my photographic style since then and what is essentially still the same.

This was my first trip to Venice. I'd travelled by train from Florence, and I can clearly remember standing in a quiet square somewhere in San Polo with tears running down my face because it was all just so beautiful. I knew exactly what it was going to look like, but seeing it in real life was overwhelming.

Since then I've returned to Venice quite a few times, learned to speak Italian and visited many other places in Italy. I still love it, but it'll be difficult to beat the specialness of that first time.








No comments:

Post a Comment